Monday, February 25, 2008

Six Months. Already?


Today was a big day for little Lydia. She had her six month well-check with Dr. Hull- who was so kind to spend a whole hour with us answering all of our questions. Over all Lydia seems to be really healthy and right on track developmentally. She did really well with those darn shots, but she was a little out of sorts this afternoon. The best part of the whole thing was after she and I had gone grocery shopping she decided it was time to take a nap and she WOULD NOT let me put her down. I tried several times then gave in to letting her sleep on my tummy as I laid in bed with her for an hour and a half. This is the first time she's been this clingy. I have to admit, I loved every second of it!

Other points of interest:

Solid Foods: Dr. Hull recommended starting her on some veggies such as carrots and sweet potatoes.
Fluoride: Now that she has two teeth, her Dr. ordered her some fluoride drops.
Lazy Eye: Thanks to my sis, who is a very in-tune mother (and aunt), we asked Dr. Hull about the lazy eye that Amy had mentioned and Dr. Hull said that Lydia does indeed have a slight lazy eye. We will have to take her to a pediatric optomoligist to sort this out. She may end up with some baby spectacles!
Constipation: Still trying to work this out. Dr. Hull recommended water and M of M, as not to turn her into a juice baby. We tried water in a starter sippy cup today and she ended up hitting herself in the head with it twice and was really mad about that!
Sleeping: Lydia's typical sleep pattern is 7pm to 3 or 4am and then until about 6:30 or 7am. Dr. Hull recommended we ween her off of the early morning feeding and that it would take letting her cry it out. We are hesitant to try this because we don't think we could stand to let her cry for mor than a couple minutes. Any advice on this one would be much-appreciated.


And lastly, the stats:

Weight: 17 lb. 3 oz. / 80%
Height: 26 1/2 in. / 80%
Head: 18" / off the charts (like mother - like daughter)

We are so grateful every day for our healthy little girl! We can't get over the huge blessing she is in our lives.

8 comments:

jessi said...

I remember I liked Dr. Hull. About ending the morning feeding, Abram didn't end that feeding until he was about a year old. I remember when I committed to ending it (figuring he was a year old and it was definitely not a hunger issue anymore), and thinking, wow I could have ended that a while ago probably. I always found it easier to lay in bed and entertain by feeding though instead of getting up and playing with him to substitute for the feeding. If you are not sure about ending it quite yet, consider it in the next few months maybe. Ever since Abram finished nursing at 13 months, he sleeps full nights from 8pm-7am (so don't think what you do now will necessarily translate to when she is older). You will know when it is time for you and for her emotionally and physically to end it. Your days of sleep will be here once again, so enjoy what you can about each of these stages.

Jesi said...

Wow, Six months! Time goes by so fast. Before you know it she will be nine.

As for the morning feeding. Letting here cry will only last for a few nights. I suggest trying it. Having a baby that sleeps through the night is wonderful. Although as Gary would say, I like to hear my kids cry. Bottom line is do what works best for you!!

April said...

I love the new pictures! It seems like you were just barely blessing her and now she's already six months!

Diana & CJ said...

Six months already? Gosh that's already half a year. I never noticed her slight lazy eye. However, any baby wearing spectacles I think is cute. They make them so perfect & tiny for their little faces. You'll have to update us on how that goes. Glad everything went well with her doctor visit.

Becca said...

I was writing to let you know I need a picture of Lydia's adorable little teeth. I am going to spotlight all of Olivia's friends with those adorable pearly whites--poor Livi.

P.s. I never noticed the eye either! Props to your awesome in-tune sis. And YES I do think that baby specticles are cute, no worries!

Also, I was always just TOO tired to feed Olivia when she woke up at 3-4 am so I'd just keep sticking her binky in until she got used to just sleeping through. (I swear I'm not a bad mom--I just knew that those Huge Chunky Legs could supplement her throught the night). She sleeps 12 hours every night and it is a life saver. The other day she slept 14 straight, trust me it's worth it.

Annie said...

You're such a good mom to ask all the questions. Sounds like Lydia is doing great. I must admit that I am a "cry-it-out" Mom myself and, though it is excruiating to listen to, I do think they adjust fast and it makes for a great sleeper. Good luck!

Turia said...

I LOVE the picture of Lydia and Gary. Oh my gosh... so cute.
I'd also say let her cry. It will only be for a few days and then you will sleep better and so will she. My "bible" when it comes to kids sleep/eating patterns is " "On Becoming Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. I loved this book. My kids were sleeping through the night by 8 weeks old. Brighton is now 6 weeks and is close, but not quite yet.
I know it's hard to hear them cry, but having her a good sleeper is worth a few screams.

Anonymous said...

She is growing so fast. You are a good mom and you will figure everything out. Every baby is different and different things work for every parent. If you can ween her the morning feedings great, but if not just enjoy these moments because they pass so fast. By the way everytime my kids visit the doctors they are always clingy, especially if they have been given shots. Both my kids are so sensitive now we just have to walk in the doctors office and it is all over.